Sit down. Pull out your check book. And write yourself a check. For $350,000,000.00.
That’s three hundred and fifty million dollars.
That’s a lot of money.
Now, imagine that this check is real — and that you could walk into your bank today — and deposit it. Imagine how it would feel. Imagine your state of being as you did it. Imagine how awesome it would feel.
Now write out a list of 5-10 things you would do with this money. Without thinking about it too much.
Here is my list:
- Quit my job (like right away)
- Pay off my girlfriend’s debt (I am currently out of debt — woooohoooooo!)
- Give life changing money to my girlfriend’s mom, my dad and my sister
- Take a really long, LONG vacation to Hawaii.
- Buy a house at the beach
- Buy a new car
- Set up an awesome home office
That sounds pretty awesome and exciting.
Now — once you have your list — and you have you have it written down — I want you to ask yourself:
What would I do AFTER I’ve done all of the things on my list? How would I live my life? What would I do? What would my days be like?
To me the answers to those questions are more important than the spending spree you would go on if you had a lot of money.
To me, the real question is:
Who would I be if money weren’t an issue? What would I do with my time?
With that in mind, list 5-10 MORE things you would do AFTER your spending spree if you had all of the money in the world…
- I’d wrote more screenplays
- I’d think of new blogs on any crazy topic I wanted
- I’d spend more time with friends just “hanging out”
- I’d go to museums and just look at art
- I’d start a production company and make films I love
- I’d publish my poetry and write lots more of it
- I’d volunteer my time to help those in need
- I’d exercise — a lot
Do you see? I think these are my real dreams! These are the real gems of our souls. Not the Porsche I’d buy after I’d gotten a ton of money…
It’s about what we’d do. It’s about who we are. Deep inside.
That’s where the real life is.